Do you have a folder full of marketing ideas sitting on your desk? Or are those ideas still rattling around in your head?
Either way, putting them into a concrete plan forces you to evaluate whether they make sense or not.
A clear plan helps you channel your energy into routes that give you the best chance of reaching your goals rather than scattering yourself by doing a bit of this and a bit of that as the fancy takes you.
It does take time and effort to put a plan together but once it's done, your life will be easier and your activities more productive - with less effort.
Here's what a marketing plan helps you do:
A well-designed marketing plan is a step-by-step program for success because it guides your actions: you'll be clear about what to do, how to do it and when to do it; you'll stay intentional and focused on getting where you want to go.
- Get your dreams out of your head and onto paper.
- Define what you want your marketing efforts to achieve over the next year.
- Do all your thinking at the beginning of the year! When you consider your strategy for the whole year, you'll see how your marketing methods can support and feed off each other so you use your time and resources more efficiently and you get better results with less effort.
- Understand what your audience wants and how you can satisfy them.
- Figure out how to attract and retain your clients, and how to reinvigorate old clients so you make more money with what you already have.
- Keep your focus only on the activities that will bring the results you want.
- Measure the results of your efforts so you can make adjustments if necessary.
- Evaluate whether the latest, seductive new marketing method fits in with what you are trying to achieve.
- Become more effective at handling problems because you'll have a foundation to make decisions from.
- Reach your financial goals.
This doesn't mean that you don't make adjustments as you go through the year but the plan sets the direction.
"By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail."
The most important step is the first one: getting started. Go for it!
I know how daunting this can be: drop me an email to Maggie@MyMarketingMessage.com or give me a call at 805 965 9173 if you need help putting your plan together.
Copyright 2012 Maggie Dennison